The NIHR launched its Be Part of Research service back in May this year. Designed for the public, it makes information about research available to anyone who wants it. With a simplified navigation, improved search and filtering facility, and the ability to feedback on the usefulness of study information, the website builds on the success of the UK Clinical Trials Gateway (UKCTG), which has been delivered by NIHR for a number of years.
Like UKCTG, the study data on the Be Part of Research site is refreshed weekly and comes directly from two databases, ISRCTN (International Standard Randomised Controlled Trial Number) Registry and ClinicalTrials.gov. There is no other way to list your trial or study on Be Part of Research. Studies funded by the NIHR or listed on the NIHR Clinical Research Network’s Portfolio of studies are not automatically added to Be Part of Research.
The site already receives tens of thousands of visits each month, and we have ambitious plans to grow this. The service is a great opportunity for your study to be seen by members of the public who are keen to participate in research.
How can you add your study?
- If your study is registered with ISRCTN or clinicaltrials.gov then your study information will be automatically added to our studies list, with details refreshed once a week.
- Members of the public will be able to find this information and get in touch with you if they’re interested in taking part. It’s crucial that study information, including site and contact details are always up-to-date on the source registries.
- We can’t block studies being added from the source registries, so if the public shouldn’t put themselves forward, please make this clear in your summary on ISRCTN and clinical trials.gov, to avoid unwanted contacts to your team and to avoid disappointing volunteers.
Read more about how to add your study.
Can you promote the service?
Yes, absolutely! We’ve made our promotional materials available for anyone to order. Materials include:
- Posters and leaflets for public and health care professionals
- New leaflet for researchers – which explains how researchers can add their study to the service
- Slides for TV screens at events and in waiting rooms
Visit www.nihrresources.co.uk to order printed materials, or contact the team to request the digital assets. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Full details of the materials available are listed at the end of this post.
Most materials are free, although a cost for postage and packaging will be incurred. Alternatively, materials are available to download should you wish to print them locally.
Tell us what you think
We’re really keen to hear feedback on how what people think of the site or how it can be best used to help more people participate in research. Email us at email@example.com
Full list of promotional materials:
- Leaflets for public
- Leaflets for parents, children and young adults
- Easy read leaflets
- Leaflets for healthcare professionals
- Leaflets for researchers
- A3 posters
- A4 posters
- Exhibition banners (Please note cost: £120 per banner)
Digital materials include:
- Slides for waiting room screens
- Subtitled animation about service
- Twitter cards
- Links and content you can add to your own website
- Editable ‘We are research active’ posters
- Mini videos to demonstrate how the site works